I swear the last thing I remember was throwing down a couple of pitchers with the boys, and pondering my biggest worry in life: how not to appear too hung over at the office tomorrow. Then I awoke, holding my breath in front of this Diaper Genie contraption cursing myself for not leaving enough tag end to tie it off. How did I get here?
Better yet, where do I go from here?
That pretty much sums up my initiation into the world of fatherhood. Somebody shoved a scepter into my hands with the letters D-A-D on it, pushed me onto the stage and said "dance, fool, dance."
More than a decade later, I'm still shuffling my feet trying to find my rhythm as a kick ass dad. And as with any endeavor of this magnitude, it deserves to be documented. And this is what I've been doing since the summer of '07.
A little bit about me...
- Fury is my 13-yr old son. If wit is an indicator of greatness, that kid will rule the world someday. You better start getting on his good side now, people.
- Lessi is my 5 yr old daughter. They say it only takes about 10 lbs of pressure in the right spot to knock a man out. I know for a fact it only took 7lbs, 6 oz.
- But wait, there's more!
- I'm now living with my best friend in the world, who single handedly made me believe in love, destiny, and 80's power ballads. When you can sing "these five words I swear to you" and mean it, you've got something good.
- As part of the deal, I added three more to the mix: Brendan, high schooler going on philosopher king, TXU, who will probably make the 9th wonder of the world out of duct tape, and Lilz, who will win Jeopardy one day because she converses in the form of a question.
- We live in a farm-ish town 60 miles east of San Francisco. I commute daily into the city for work. That's four hours per day, so don't question my need for a whiskey of some kind at the end of each day.
- For 15 years, I called myself a fighter. Muay Thai and MMA were my thing. Becoming a dad with kids to keep track of has shelved all this, but I can still beat up your dad, so it’s all good.
- My guitar aches to be played. But instead it collects dust better than an Ionic Breeze. My badass 4x4 Chevy Pickup does pretty much the same (change that to "did" since I sold it to pay for private school a few years back). It's all good now because we just got a badass 4x4 Chevy Suburban (all the soccer practice capacity of a minivan, none of the resignation!).
- Fishing is my absolute favorite thing in the world. I only say this because you never know when a fishing company might be reading your blog. Yes, I want to work with you. Support my habit and I will give you the world.
You are now caught up.
STUFF ONLY PR/MARKETING PEOPLE CARE ABOUT:
Disclosure: I work in the PR/Marketing industry as a digital strategist. However, my company totally supports my activities as a dad blogger. Unless you represent a company that is a direct conflict with one of our existing clients, it's cool with them. Transparency is good for all, unless you are that bird that just hit my kitchen window.
Brand Ambassadorships, Past and Present:
- Dr. Pepper/Snapple (Let's Play)
- American Cancer Society
- Zatarain's Foods
- UN Foundation's Shot@Life
- LG Electronics
- Happy Family Organics
- Jord Watches
- Babble.com #1 Funniest Dad Blogger 2011 (HAHAHAHAHA)
- Babble.com #2 Funniest Dad Blogger 2012 (heh heh)
- Babble.com Parent Blogger Hall of Fame (laurels, I rest on 'em)
- 2x Honoree, BlogHer Voices of the Year
I've Spoken at:
- BlogHer Pro
- BlogHer Food
- Dad 2.0 (3x)
- Mom 2.0
- Type-A Parent
- PR Newswire (2x)
- Australia Tourism Summit
- Greater SF Ad Club
- NFL Players Association